The longest running and premiere pop culture event in Asia is back this weekend! The Philippines’ Toys, Hobbies, and Collectibles Convention (TOYCON PH) is on its 18th year of serving pop culture realness to fans, with the country headlining as its “leading pop culture playground in Asia”. That’s another reason for #PinoyPride, as this year’s event is set to showcase Filipino creativity and talent through toys, games, entertainment and even digital content!
With its new logo and a new tagline, “Where Asia Comes to Play”, TOYCON aims to bring in visitors from other countries to join its 3-day celebration at the SMX Convention Center in Pasay City from June 28-30, 2019.
Before splurging on toys this weekend, here’s a quick guide on what to expect during your visit, including ticket prices:
Get up close with celebrity guests
Part of the most-awaited lineup in TOYCON every year is their international celebrities. In the past years, they flew in guests from Game of Thrones, Pirates of the Caribbean, Power Rangers, Superman, and even X-Men through their partnership with Pop Life Global.
This year, two guests confirmed to arrive are from the hit AMC series The Walking Dead: Michael Cudlitz, who played Sergeant Abraham Ford, and Steven Ogg, who played Simon and also plays Trevor in the hit video game Grand Theft Auto V.
The FanXperience event will also feature the Battle Dance Champions in the Pop Life-produced movie, No Dance, No Life. World-class dance will take over the FanXperience stage featuring talents such as Former Bboy of the Year Bboy Morris, World of Dance 2019 Champions The Kings, World of Dance Team of the Year Academy of Villains, and The Creator of the dance style – Krumping, Tight Eyez.
Check out the biggest Batman statue in Asia
You’ll find a 22-feet tall Imperial Palace Batman during the event, in celebration of the 80th Anniversary of the Dark Knight. DC Collectibles has announced a collaboration with Pop Life Global and China’s Imperial Palace for a special series of figures featuring DC Comics characters in costumes patterned after ancient Chinese warriors and soldier armors. This Batman statue is going to be one for the history books!
Collectors items and exclusive merchandise
Like previous years, exclusive toys, collectibles, and merchandise can be found in different booths under one roof! Headlining as the marquee TOYCON exclusive is the Zeta Manila Killa PH Colorway designed and created by Quiccs Maiquez – who was awarded Toy Designer of the Year and Toy of the Year in the recently held Designer Toy Awards in New York City.
In addition, the much-anticipated Jollibee Funko Pop will also exclusively be distributed by the Funko Funatics Philippines during the event this year. There are booths selling it for only P650, so don’t be fooled by those selling it for almost P11,000!
There are also Filipino-inspired toy exclusives of Tiny Ghost by Bim Toy, Dino by Ziqi Toys and the first release of the Batman Imperial Palace warrior vinyl toy by Mindstyle.
Meet the designers behind your toys
Brands like Lego, Funko, Bandai, Good Smile, Hot Toys and XM Studios, along with internationally renowned toy designers: Ron English (the legendary godfather of street art), Quiccs, Wetworks, Anatoy, Yoii, Hariken, Creon Chkn Head, Happy Garaje, Jessica Emmett, Daniel Yu, Fanny Kao, Mumbot, Rusho Toys, Jwon, Kaze Studio, Messymaru, Mupa, Non World, Siam Ruf, Tangent and Too Natthapong will line up the event with their distinct brand of collectibles.
These designers from all over the globe certainly get the art toy enthusiasts excited in all the international toy shows and certainly, art toy aficionados will get spoiled in this year’s event!
A Music Festival
Want to watch band performances and idol groups in the flesh? No problem! They have up and coming bands — Souldrift, Lila, The Lock Pickers, The Glass O, Project:Materia, Kanjiru, Asterysk, Lunar Rhythm, as well as fan favorites Aidoru Sozai, CH4U, and Pastel∞Mix at the TOYCON stage for its Music Festival. You may refer to the complete program for the schedule!
Comics and gaming
Here’s a list of top-caliber comic book artists gracing the event this year:
- Berlin Manalaysay: Creator of the well-loved cyborg, ‘Combatron’, one of the most well received characters in Funny Komics in 1992. I can still remember the stories in those comic books!
- Ed Tadeo: A prolific Filipino comic book artist, colorist and inker for Marvel, DC, and Image Comics. Titles of his works in coloring and inking include: Wolverine, Silver Surfer, High Roads and District X.
- Heubert Khan Michael: Former guidance councilor-turned-legendary comic book artist. Judged by Neil Gaiman himself, Hubert won 3rd place in the Philippine Graphic Fiction Awards back in 2010 and has been inking since then! Some of his awesome works include: Vampirella, Unstoppable, and The Owl.
- Miguel Mercado: Miguel is a cosplayer and illustrator known within the Comic Book community for his epic cover art for Back to the Future (2015), Buffy The Vampire Slayer (2019) and Over The Garden Wall (2017).
- Harvey Tolibao: Harvey first got involved in the comics industry in late 2006 when he penciled and inked the twelfth issue of Dark Horse Comics’ Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. He also did the art for Iron Man: Director of S.H.I.E.L.D., Psylocke, The Avengers and has also done some work for Top Cow and DC.
- Pol Medina Jr: A Filipino cartoonist best known for creating Pugad Baboy, a comic strip about a community of fatsos and a dog named Polgas, highlighting domestic life and the characters’ commentary on relevant societal issues and pop culture. Pol is the 2018 recipient of the TOYCON Pinoy Pop Culture Icon Award.
- Raymund Bermudez: Filipino Comic Book Artist, Penciler and Cover Artist for DC Comics. Some of his notable works include: Justice League, Pathfinders and Lex Luthor.
- Raymund Lee: Professional Digital Comic Book Colorist who is known for his painterly style and classic renditions of superheroes.
- Steve Gan: One of the most accomplished Chinese-Filipino Comic Book Artists to date. Best known for co-creating the legendary comic book Ang Panday, as well as Marvel’s Star-Lord and Skull the Slayer.
Keep your eyes peeled during the event as ABS-CBN will launch the Ravelo Komiks Universe in TOYCON 2019, the first ever unified comics universe in the Philippines with a legacy display of new merchandise for its prominent stable of heroes – Darna, Captain Barbell, and Lastikman. Life-size statues are on display near the entrance of SMX.
Tickets are available at the entrance of SMX.
- 1-Day Pass: P600
- 2-Day Pass: P1000
- 3-Day Pass: P1300
- Kidz Pass: P300
- Squad Pass (5+1): P3000
There are more surprises and awesome prizes waiting for visitors of TOYCON 2019! Don’t miss it! If you want a photo inside a Funko Pop box like the one in our thumbnail, look for the Earth Snaps booth to get your photo taken for FREE. 😉
For live updates on what’s happening at the convention, you may follow their Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram pages. You can also take a peek at our TOYCON 2019 experience by following Manila Millennial on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram!