After a successful first season in 2017, which brought together the legends and rising stars of Original Pinoy Music (OPM), Coke Studio is back this year with a second season that aims to give OPM a new home at Coke Studio Homecoming. However, the roster isn’t the same as it was before. This year’s lineup became more exciting with the brand’s very first spoken-word artist and DJ on board!
Manila Millennial attended the launch of Coke Studio Homecoming last Saturday (September 1, 2018) at the World Trade Center Manila, together with fans of different bands who availed their ticket for #OPMysteryGig. Only a few were given first dibs on the real name of the concert, so this surprised many fans who didn’t expect to see a lot of Pinoy artists performing on stage for FREE.
We’re so excited to see all Coke Studio surprises this year and we’re sure you also are, so we’re sharing 5 of the newsworthy updates that have been revealed at the event:
1. New lineup
IV of Spades: 3-piece funk-rock band who is very popular for their songs with disco vibes. They’re behind the songs Mundo, Hey Barbara and Where Have You Been My Disco?.
- Juan Miguel Severo: A spoken-word artist, writer, and actor. He’s known for his hugot and heartbreaking pieces that were used in the TV show On the Wings of Love.
- Sam Concepcion: Millennials grew up watching his performances on TV! He’s the Little Big Star Season 1 winner in 2016 and has since embarked on his showbiz journey. This 25-year-old lad is a singer, dancer, theater and television actor, VJ, and host.
- Shanti Dope: A 17-year-old hip-hop prodigy who is being mentored by Gloc-9. Included in his hit songs are Nadarang, Mau, and Norem.
- Quest: Singer, songwriter, and rapper in one! He’s behind Gilas Pilipinas’ them song entitled Sige Lang and worship songs from Every Nation Church. He is currently producing hip-hop and R&B songs in collaboration with other artists as well.
- DJ Patty Tiu: The Philippines’ top-ranking female DJ and the only Pinay who was able to land a rank in The FDJ 2018.
- Khalil Ramos: Known for his viral song covers, Khalil joined Pilipinas Got Talent in 2011 and eventually released his own album in 2012. An actor, singer, model, and dancer in one!
- KZ Tandingan: Remember her powerful voice from X-Factor Philippines? She joined Singer 2018 in China and has impressed American singer Jessie J!
- Ben & Ben: A folk-pop band with nine members, formerly known as The Benjamins. They represented the country in the 2017 Music Matter Singapore and has received recognition in the Wish 107.5 Awards.
The following were not able to join the launch, but we’ll be seeing them more on ABS-CBN and Coke Studio’s YouTube Channel:
- December Avenue: Alternative/indie band behind hit songs Sa Ngalan ng Pag-Ibig, Kahit Di Mo Alam, and Eroplanong Papel. The five-piece has been nominated in different music awards shows.
- Kriesha Chu: Pinay K-Pop sensation who is planning on putting a Pinoy spin in foreign tunes that are popular in the country. She’s behind the Korean hit song called Trouble.
- Moira Dela Torre: Known for her soothing voice and heartwarming songs, Moira is currently a member of the acoustic group ASAP Jambayan. She won the Himig Handog 2017 title with her song Titibo-Tibo.
- AJ Rafael: Fil-Am acoustic/pop-rock singer and songwriter who has been very popular for his YouTube covers and songs. He’s the creator behind the movement “Music Speaks” – a benefit show that supports people with autism.
2. New collaborations
Catch the first out of 7 episodes of Coke Studio Season 2 on September 16, 11:15 AM via ABS-CBN or via youtube.com/CokeStudioPH, where this season’s artists will be paired up to create new songs based on their respective genres.
3. More roadshows!
Remember how the Coke Studio Season 1 artist joined festivals and school events while onboard the Coke Studio truck? Season 2 artists will be heading the road this time with games, booths, Coke Studio swag, free Coke, and more OPM music!
4. More ways to help the environment
While uniting teens through music, Coca-Cola takes it a step further by enabling concertgoers to do their part for a greater cause. During all Coke Studio events, Coca-Cola encourages teens to deposit their PET bottles in designated recycling bins and in The Coke Studio Tune Cycle, a stationary bicycle that grinds PET bottles. These ground PET bottles will be turned into eco-bricks and will be donated under the company’s World Without Waste project.
5. Surprise artist, highlights, and Christmas song
Who else will be coming home? The 14th artist hasn’t been revealed yet but we’ll be on the lookout for the grand revelation on November 18. An episode featuring all the highlights will be aired on November 4, while the much-awaited Coke Christmas Song will be released on December 2. Seems like a music-filled Christmas to me!
Thank you to COCA-COLA Philippines for making this happen. Have you met their awesome Vice President for Marketing? Meet Stephan Czypionka who was “millennial” enough to pose for a photo for the website:
Are you looking forward to listen to the new songs and watch this season’s artists perform? Share your thoughts and feel free to look at more photos that we’ve uploaded on Manila Millennial’s pages — Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. For instant updates about the schedule of concerts and road shows, visit:
Facebook: COCA-COLA Philippines